Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Puzzling things about New York

(1) In LA when you honk, it means something like, "Get it together!" Honking is efficiency oriented. You honk when someone messes up the efficiency and slows people down. In Colombia when taxis honk, what they mean is, "Hi, I'm available! Hey, I'm still here! Here I am! I'm here still if you need me!" In NY the car honk approximates something like, "I AM FRUSTRATED." and, correspondingly, it can be used in no-fault situations, such as when there is traffic on the freeway.

(2) New Yorkers will throw perfectly good furniture out on the curb, yet try to sell their used furniture on craigslist for more than they paid for it. I guess that's because nothing is used, it's just "vintage." Even that Ikea Lack table which retails new for $15. That can be had on craigslist for $20 - the extra scratches give it vintage character. You're welcome.

(3) This is a city full of people who pay boat loads to be surrounded by a lot of other people, yet perpetually avoid eye contact with them. It is a city of people who have grown up jobs and more money than most of the people in the rest of the country, and yet continue to live like college students well into their thirties -- roommates, Ikea furniture, and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment